Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Reason

Over the years I have spent much of my time reading, posting and living a second life on internet forums and chats. I get a sense of pleasure when I am proven correct about whatever the day's debate is, and I get to a level of anger where I want to pull my hair out when I can't convince a fellow poster that he or she is wrong. The reason: sports. 

It is sports that evoke this emotion in me and lead me into these online battles and debates. When I watch a sport or read about something sports related I have a need talk about it. Even with the inevitable argument that will often make my blood boil, I find myself right back at it the next day. The reason: I love sports. 

It is not just one sport or sports team either. I love all sports - baseball, hockey, football, curling, soccer, golf - you name it, and I will have an opinion on it. If it is a sport or competition, I will watch. The reason: there is something special about sports.

There is a feeling that I get when I watch sports. Perhaps you know it. That feeling that sports are not just another game or event to pass the time. That there is something more happening. To me sports bring out the best and worst in people (both players and fans). It is because to many of us sports represent hope, magic and a sense of success and failure that nothing else can really imitate on a daily basis. The reason: imagination. 

I can place myself into the moment of a game. When it is on the line I am not just watching, I am imagining being the key player or manager that will decide what the history books say the next day. Who hasn't put themselves in the shoes of the pitcher facing a ninth inning save in the playoffs? Who has not seen themselves as the goalie getting ready to face a penalty shot in overtime of a game seven? Imagination is why we follow sports as closely now as we did when we were kids. Sports keep us always needing more. The reason: sports writers. 

It is not enough to just watch sports. For the true diehard fan, a game or competition a week is not going to fulfill our needs. I know that I need to read about sports, listen to sports talk shows on the radio, and watch shows about sports every chance I get. The reason: I respect sports writers and analysts.

Of course, it does't mean I always agree with their points of view or even like what they are writing. Rather, I respect that they share my enthusiasm for sports. I respect that, each week, they give me something else to post comments about and debate. Like many others, I can't resist having my say. The reason: we all have something to offer. 

The obsessive following of online articles about sports has given me a unique perspective. This blog allows me to present my ideas in a structured and well organized format. It does not matter if you agree with my points of view or believe me to be wrong through and through. What matters is that I am passionate enough about sports to have made a blog to get my thoughts out there. My hope is that I can offer a different opinion or angle to a subject or event that the reader has not read yet. If this blog accomplishes that or not really will depend on each reader to decide. Ultimately, this is yet another person with an opinion, but if you are anything like me, you won't be able to resist reading just one more article about the wonderful world of sports. And that is The Reason. 

1 comment:

  1. My first official sports blog will be on the Stanley Cup playoffs starting tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete